Monday, March 8, 2010

How much food?

My mind has been wandering around the concept of trying to figure out how much food I need to eat. Do I need to eat all of my flex points? What about my activity points?

I want to try and see if it is possible for me to keep losing weight at a pound a week or as close to that as possible. I'm not sure where the balance is between how many points I'm eating and how much activity I'm getting. My body can only handle so much exertion and still be able to function for the rest of the day. If I push myself too hard I strain my body and risk injuring myself. So in that area I need to take it easy and not over do things. (I'm slowly building my activity levels up, but it takes time. For now my 25-30minute exercise DVDs are as far as I'm able to push myself, and not even going at full intensity)

Ideas I'm playing around with:
  1. Only eat my daily points
  2. Eat my daily points and my activity points
  3. Eat my daily points and a specific amount of weekly points
  4. Eat my daily points and a specific amount of weekly points and my activity points
  5. Continue to eat all points available to me (activity points being optional) and wait and see how things go
I know that I need to avoid setting unrealistic goals for myself, but at the same time I want to set myself up for the best results that I possibly can.

Of course in my mind the best results also equal the quickest results......

I don't want to buy a plus sized wedding gown. I want to be able to look back on my wedding photos and like the way I look.

For at least (the rest of) this week and possibly next I am going to focus on staying within my points (daily + weekly + activity) and see what the scale does. Especially considering with the exception of last week when I was sick, the four weeks before that I went over my points each week (by 4, 21, 12 and 21) and I've been losing, so I need to see what happens when I stay within my points.

Another food hurdle I need to figure out is cooking. I definitely prefer cooking when I can have the kitchen to myself here, which basically means that I can cook Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Easy enough to make extra on those days to get me through the other three days so that I just have to reheat things. Just going to take some planning on my part, which is something I'm working on getting better at in general anyways.

2 comments:

  1. Mu suggestion is to start with eating as many points as you have available to you to eat. If you lose weight, great - just keep going. The problem with starting out low is that you will lose weight at first, and the it will slow down because your body is trying to conserve all it can. Then what do you do? Would you be able to cut down more and be happy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've let this meld in my mind the last few days, I've reached the same conclusion as your suggestion. Its just hard sometimes to remember that I am doing this the right way and that's what's important, when I calculate how long it'll take to lose the weight at the rate I'm going and the length of time just seems completely overwhelming.
    As it is, I keep going over, and I have been losing, so the first step is to just use all the points I've got and keep in that range for four weeks and see what happens. (I figure a month will be a good measure of my body's cycle.)

    ReplyDelete