Sunday, January 1, 2012

Review of 2011 and January Goals

Happy New Year Everyone!

With the start of the new year I wanted to do a short overview of how the last year went:
  •  I ended the year off weighing about 6 pounds more than I did at the end of 2010. Not great, but considering how scattered my focus was during the year, the damage could have been a lot worse. With my first weigh in of 2012 I'm declaring a mental blank slate regarding my weight and weigh ins and am only focusing on moving forward.
  • Personally and professionally my life had some major changes. I'm working in a job that I love and have my own apartment which is really feeling like home these days.
  • My mental and emotional toolbox feels full to tackle the known and potential obstacles coming thru 2012 in my healthiness journey. These include attending my cousin's wedding and being in a childhood friend's wedding.
And now for the coming year...
 

My "New Year's Resolution" is simple for this year. I want to do everything I can to make as much progress as I can on my healthiness journey. I resolve to do my best each day with what I have.


Now for my January goals!
  1. Keep up with the 2-3 days of exercise/activity (keep doing the Gazelle with iPod for now, and try to mix in 1 Mile walking DVDs by the end of the month)
  2. Focus on meal planning (remembering that my meals and snacks do not have to look like anyone else's) 
  3. Move papazan chair to apartment
  4. Finish dealing with musty boxes in bedroom (this requires wiping down books and then once they are dry, sealing them in a container with unscented dryer sheets to try and get the smell out of them)
  5. Finish lining all shelves in apartment
  6. Figure out what is going on with one window in bedroom (it doesn't close all the way and is letting cold air in)
  7. Get artwork up on walls (living room, bedroom, dining room) 

Sidenote(s):
In the past I rewarded myself for each pound lost and for each workout completed. I'm not going to do that anymore/this time around. The rewards weren't helping me create new habits. They were just providing me an excuse to do something that most days I didn't want to do. I need to want to do this. I need to want to make healthier eating choices, to exercise in some form on a regular basis. I also have realized that the rewards were reminding me of how far I have to go instead of recognizing the little milestones and accomplishments. Each pound lost is an accomplishment of its own. Any exercise done is an accomplishment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment