Saturday, October 9, 2010

Body, Mind and Soul

I've been giving a lot of thought this week to what direction I really want to be taking this blog. Debating if I want to try and revamp things or keep going with the simple posts about updates regarding my weigh ins and goals (if set).

When I started writing the blog I was using it mainly as an accountability tool, to give myself a place to track my progress, my successes and my slip-ups. What I've come to realize is that my journey to getting healthy is really about more than if I stayed within my points this week and if I got in any exercise. So, along those lines I feel as though my blog needs to change as my mindset has to reflect this "new" way of approaching my journey.

I may be behind the curve on this, and I feel really silly since I'm usually better when it comes to computer stuff, but I finally figured out that I could use Notepad to create blog entries when I'm offline and then copy/paste them into the Blogger thing to post them. I tried to do that once with Word, but got an error message because of coding translation something or other. I believe that this will help me write some more thought out entries, though I'm not sure if the frequency of posting will change quite yet. 

A little about my thoughts on what I really want to do on this blog:
Blogging about meals/food intake
In many of the blogs I follow the bloggers write about (and often post photos of) their daily meals. This is something I felt like I "should" do to be a good blogger, but it made the process of blogging and tracking my food feel like work, or at least more work than it already is. I struggle with meal planning and tracking as it is, and while I use my blog as an additional source of accountability for the process as a whole, I feel that at least for now, trying to track all of my meals and snacks as part of my blog is way more effort than I can handle. Also, it would require blogging on a much more frequent basis than I feel I can handle, especially with only a dial-up connection in the house.
I am going to try to use my cell phone to take and post pictures more frequently in my entries. They definitely help perk things up. I just have to get in the habit of remembering to take photos that would be interesting or help illustrate what I'm talking about.






(my snack of honeydew melon earlier in the week)


Blog topics
So many of the blogs I follow and find the most inspiring are written by those who are maintaining their loss or are a long way into their journey. They have experience to draw from, and use that to come up with topics for their usually daily posts. They also tend to discuss their lives in regards to work, family, friends, and just things happening in their lives. I tend to be a private person and sharing that much information about my life in such a public way makes me uncomfortable. I'm very open with people once I get to know them, and establish some trust, but I guess aside from generally being shy I've just been hurt too many times when I've put myself out in the open with relative strangers.
However, I am going to try to include more personal things in my entries because I need to stay true to myself and all aspects of this journey. I'm sure that this will be a slow process, and what I include will vary from what others include in their posts, but I want to try and be more open than I have been if for no other reason than who I am as a person is more than how my eating and exercising is going.


Regular update stuff time!
 - I didn't weigh in again this week. My car was making funny noises when I went to leave for my weigh in and the time it took to play around ate up the time to get there before they closed. (They close in between meeting times). What was frustrating is that the noise went away and so I have no idea as to what is going on with my car.
 - From my home scale I know that my weight is a tiny bit down from last week. Its that TOM, so that messes up everything anyways.

October goals update
 - Food tracking - I was good about writing down everything I ate this week. I know I was probably way over my points for the week, but at least I kept tracking (which when I go off plan I usually stop doing)
 - Exercise - no progress yet
 - Sleep - I wasn't feeling well most of the week. I'm having a really hard time falling asleep at night, which makes me sleep in really late in the morning so that I'm getting all the sleep my body needs.

Random event for the week:
 - While getting a glass out of the cabinet in the morning on Tuesday I somehow managed to knock a glass off the shelf in the cabinet and have it land on my two big toes on my left foot (I was wearing flip flops at the time). The glass didn't break but I managed to bruise those toes really well. Wearing shoes has not been fun at all this week.

Action plan for the week ahead:
 - work on getting back on plan with my eating and keep tracking food either way.
 - force myself to get up in the morning when the alarm goes off (this means not turning it off so it doesn't go off.) I'm hoping that if I force myself to get up earlier I'll fall asleep sooner at night.
 - spend more time submitting job applications. I've been putting in the time searching listings and finding positions, but I've been slacking about actually getting my application materials submitted.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. Wonderful reflection. You're doing a good job on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete