Friday, May 11, 2012

At work: weight loss, breakdowns, and breakthroughs?

If you couldn't tell from the subject, this post is all about things that happened and are happening at work. 

Weight Loss:
Starting this week at work they are doing a "Biggest Loser" type weight loss competition thru the end of July. Our little group/team at work decided to give it a try and we've divided into two teams of two. I'm hoping that this is just the push I need to get back in the groove with exercise and food and back in the right direction consistently with the scale.
So far my eating is hit and miss, but this is only day 2. Also, the breakdown probably isn't helping.
Weigh ins for this are Thursday mornings. I think I am going to aim for either Wednesday or Thursday evening weigh ins at Weight Watchers most weeks though this week I think I might aim for Sunday as I have a work thing Wednesday night and a possible meeting Thursday.

Breakdown:
I had a bit of a breakdown at work on Thursday. I knew I was feeling a bit off on my way in to work. I really just wanted to go curl back up in bed, but off to work I went. So feeling shaky I checked my email before doing my starting weight weigh in with my partner and had emails from my boss with comments about how to improve my end of year dinner and checking about plans for summer programming. All comments were completely constructive and not mean or yelling at me but I just lost it. I ended up in the bathroom locked in a stall crying my eyes out and not sure I was going to be able to stop.
You see I knew that I wasn't doing my best at work (or in any aspect of my life really) and the email meant that the effects were finally showing in a way where others could notice, and that meant I was failing myself. I thought I was slipping under the radar with my panic/anxiety attacks at work, freezing up and unable to figure out what to do first. Apparently not, and that was embarrassing and upsetting...
I went and spoke with my boss about it, and cried some more (feeling completely stupid about it) and she said that she was relieved. She thought I was bored with my job and pulling away from it because I hated it. Being overwhelmed and exhausted were things we could fix she said. It took me a few minutes to process this because I felt like my world was imploding and she's saying it is fixable and she's happy.
Results so far of breakdown:
1) cathartic release
2) meeting in place to plan for summer stuff as group and try to avoid repeat breakdown
3) took today off from work as a mental health day

Breakthroughs:
 - With all the crazy breakdown energy, starting before and continuing after my meeting with my boss I reorganized and cleaned up my desk at work. I never really got a system in place when we moved in back in January, and then we moved the desks around a bit about two weeks ago and then what little system I had really didn't work anymore.
It felt really good to have that taken care of.
 - I really used today as a mental health day. I got up, puttered around, finished watching movie I started last night, took a 4 hour nap, watched another movie, got dressed, rented some movies, watched tv, watched a movie and now am blogging.
I was going to go run errands, but that started to feel forced. I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll feel closer to being recharged and can forge ahead to do to the rest of my life what I was able to do to my desk at work.

Tomorrow's Priorities:
 - Laundry
 - Food planning and prep
 - Cleaning/organizing
I'd love to get my errands done too, but there's always Sunday for that.

1 comment:

  1. OMB! My dearest Dani! *hugs hugs hugs hugs and more hugs!*

    And hoo-rays also :-). Hoo-ray for biggest loser at work, hooray for weight lifting off your shoulders, hooray for mental health day!

    ReplyDelete