I am still struggling with finding a way to get into a routine that includes planning my meals and getting in some exercise.
With exercise, a lot of my problem is a lack of motivation, but there is also the real obstacle of how much sleep on a regular basis.
With food, I have no idea what my problem is. I really wish I could pinpoint what I'm letting get in my way, to psych me out.
I came up with an idea for what I can try next to get in some activity/exercise regularly. Years ago I was doing Jorge Cruise's 8 Minutes in the Morning program. I definitely lost weight while doing it, though I think it had more to do with monitoring my food intake than the exercising, though I know that the exercise was helping too.
The idea behind the program is that you do 4 sets of 2 different exercises each morning, allotting about 1 minute per set = 8 minutes. It takes a little longer once you factor in a short warm up and cool down. When I did this the first time, there was a website for support, a food plan, and I purchased a couple different sets of exercise cards. I still have the cards, I just need to find the box they are in among all my boxes in storage in the basement of the school.
I think that it is too easy to talk myself out of exercising once a week because it is only once a week. Then I add in the time argument, and I've talked myself out of doing any exercise at all. In the past I was better about exercising between 3 and 5 times a week when I had a reward system in place and with 3 being the minimum number of workouts for the week. I know it isn't usually the best idea to go from doing no exercise to 3-5 workouts, but I'm thinking that if I start small with these 8 minute workouts, and start with low weight dumbbells I should be ok.
Besides working on doing the 8 minute workouts I would like to add in a DVD on the weekends. The sneakers I have now work great for my walking DVDs but not so well for the dance type ones I have. A while ago I saw on someone's blog that they had gotten some dance sneakers made by Nike to use for Zumba. I have no idea where to find them in a store by me, so I will most likely have to order a pair from Zappos. Their site has a few different brands for similar type shoes so I have no idea what to order. I guess I might just have to order a couple pairs to try on and then ship back what doesn't work. I hate having to do that, but I'm not sure there's really any other option.
Thank you for your short description of the 8-minute workout! I've always wanted to read that book, but I never got around to it. I like that concept! It's a doable start that I'm sure will lead to an increased desire for bigger workouts down the road.
ReplyDelete